assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah,
its very sad that many muslims invent and bring things into Islam when Allah(azza wa jall) left His deen pure and complete. Allah(azza wa jall) says, "This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion."(Surah al Maidah:3)
Here are some notes on the issue of al Mawlid.
* Imran b. Husain reported Allaah's-Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) as saying:
The best among you (are) the people (who belong to) my age. Then those next to them, then those next to them, then those next to them. 'Imran said: I do not know whether Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) said twice or thrice (the words:" Then next" ) after (saying) about his (own age but he then said): Then after them (after successors or those who would succeed them) would come a people who would give evidence before they are asked for it, and would be dishonest and not trustworthy, who would make vows but would not fulfil them, and would be significant in being bulky.(Sahih al Bukhari)
* these three generations are the prophet and his companions, the tabi'een(those who saw the sahaba and were Muslims), and the atbaa' tabi'een(those who saw the tabi'een and followed them).
* if these three generations whom the prophet was witness that they are the BEST of generations didnt practice the Mawlid, then By Allah who are we to practice this falsehood all in the name of Muslims and love for the prophet(salaAllahu alayhi wassalam)?!!
* none of the 4 first rightly guided khulafaa did this
*in fact we are told that the first 3 days after the prophet(salaAllahu alayhi wassalam) passed away,the companions didnt even wait to bury him, instead they were choosing the khalifa! Thats how important the matter was let alone them celebrating his birthday.
* if this (mawlid) was something to get closer to Allah, how can a sahabi not do it!? How can Abu Bakr not do it? How can Umar or Uthmaan not do it??
* Abul Fadhl ibn Hajar al Asqalani(rahimahullah) was asked about celebrating the prophets birthday and he replied that it is an INNOVATION and such a thing was not narrated from Salaf as-Salih from any of the first 3 generations!
*This was something that was only invented after them.
*None of the 4 imams practiced nor narrated such nonsense or its permissibility.
*it is not good to imitate the living since they are a fitna so but rather if you want to imitate someone then let them be the dead and they are the sahaba, the best after the prophets to walk this earth.(statement of Ibn Masood-radiaAllahu anhu-)
* some people use showing "love" of the prophet by practicing the Mawlid
" Say (O Muhammad to mankind): "If you (really) love Allah then follow me (i.e. accept Islamic Monotheism, follow the Qur'an and the Sunnah), Allah will love you and forgive you of your sins. And Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful."(Surah Ali Imraan:31)
this ayah is knows as "the ayah of examination" because it made the ones who claim love for the prophet to prove it by following his sunnah
ORIGIN of Mawlid:
*this tradition was started by a king known as al Mudhaffar Kukabri (549 – 630 A.H.) who was ruler of Irbil. This was also something in which the Fatimiyeen,an extremist Rawafid(shiaa) rulers at the time had influence in.
* they also use to celebrate the birthday of the prophet(salaAllahu alayhi wassalam)'s daughter
* the prophet didnt celebrate his own love and wife, Khadija bint Khuwaylid's bithday and he loved her more than anyone and then Aisha(radiaAllahu anhuma).
*the prophets wives didnt celebrate his birthday as well and they were his family!
*عن ام المؤمنين أم عبد الله عـائـشة رضي الله عنها ، قالت : قال رسول الله صلي الله صلى الله عليه وسلم (من أحدث في أمرنا هـذا مـا لـيـس مـنه فهـو رد ). رواه الـبـخـاري [ رقم : 2697 ] ، ومسلم [ رقم :1718 ].
وفي رواية لمسلم : ( مـن عـمـل عـمـلا لـيـس عـلـيه أمـرنا فهـو رد )
On the authority of the Mother of the Faithful, Umm `Abdillaah `Aaishah (radi Allaahu 'anhaa) , who said: The Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaau alayhi wa sallam) said:
“He who innovates something in this matter of ours [i.e. Islaam] that is not of it will have it rejected [by Allaah]”. [Related by al-Bukhaari and Muslim]
In one version by Muslim it reads: He who does an act which we have not commanded, will have it rejected [by Allaah].
There are always 2 conditions for a Muslim's ibadaah(worship)to be accepted(acceptable):
1.Ikhlaas or sincere intention
2.Al Itibaa' or doing this according to the prophet's sunnah and the way he did it.
عن أبي نجـيـج العـرباض بن سارية رضي الله عنه ، قال : وعـظـنا رسول الله صلي الله علية وسلم موعـظة وجلت منها القلوب ، وذرفت منها الدموع ، فـقـلـنا : يا رسول الله ! كأنها موعـظة مودع فـأوصنا ، قال : ( أوصيكم بتقوى الله ، والسمع والطاعة وإن تأمر عليكم عبد ، فإنه من يعــش منكم فسيرى اخـتـلافـا كثيرًا ، فعـليكم بسنتي وسنة الخفاء الراشدين المهديين عـضوا عـليها بالـنـواجـذ ، واياكم ومـحدثات الأمور ، فإن كل بدعة ضلاله ).
رواه أبو داود [ رقم : 4607 ] والترمذي [ رقم : 2676 ] وقال : حديث حسن صحيح
On the authority of Abu Najeeh al-'Irbaad ibn Saariyah (radiAllaahu anhu) who said :
The Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) gave us a sermon by which our hearts were filled with fear and tears came to our eyes. So we said : "O Messenger of Allaah ! It is as though this is a farewell sermon, so counsel us".
He said :
I counsel you to have taqwaa (fear) of Allaah, and to listen and obey [your leader], even if a slave were to become your Ameer. Verily he among you who lives long will see great controversy, so you must keep to my Sunnah and to the Sunnah of the Khulafaa' ar-Raashideen (the Rightly Guided Caliphs), those who guide to the right way. Cling to it stubbornly [literally: with your molar teeth]. Beware of newly invented matters [in the religion], for verily every bid'ah (innovation) is misguidance.
It was related by Abu Dawood and at-Tirmidhee, who said that it was a good and sound Hadeeth.
* some Muslims use the "ok"ness of celebrating the prophet's birthdate because many Muslims do this as well but we should know that "actions are not or cannot be used as evidence"
Allah(azza wa jall) says, "And if you obey most of those in the earth, they will lead you astray from Allah's way; they follow but conjecture and they only lie."
By Umm Abdullah