Friday, May 21, 2010

~The Yemeni and The Tyrant~

The Yemeni and The Tyrant

Tawus ibn Kaysan, one of the righteous students of Ibn ‘Abbas and a Muhaddith said, ‘I entered the Haram (Makkah) to perform ‘Umrah and when I completed it, I prayed 2 units of prayer behind the Maqam of Ibrahim and then I sat down. I turned to look at the people in the mosque when behold, I saw a group of people with weapons, swords, spears and shields! I looked and it was al-Hajjaj ibn Yusuf, the Amir of blood-shed, about whom Laila al-Akhiliya said,

حجاج أنت الذي ما فوقه أحد
Hajjaj, you are the one above whom there is none

إلا الخليفة المستغفر الصمد
Except the True Ruler, the Forgiving and Eternal One (Allah)

قتل مائة نفس وقتل سعيد بن جبير
He (Hajjaj) killed a hundred souls and he killed Sa’id ibn Jubayr(one of the companions of the prophet salaAllahu alayhi wassalam)

Al-Hajjaj once said, ‘I saw in my dream that Allah killed me once for every soul I killed except for Sa’id ibn Jubayr for Allah killed me on the Sirat (path over Hellfire) seventy times because of him.’

Tawus continues: ‘I saw the commotion so I kept seated in my place. Whilst in that state, I saw a poor, ascetic worshipper from Yemen. He went to circumambulate around the Ka’bah, then he came to pray 2 units of prayer when suddenly his garment clung to a spear from the spears of the army of Hajjaj, and so the spear fell on al-Hajjaj! He stopped him and said, ‘Who are you?’ He said, ‘Muslim.’ He said, ‘Where are you from?’ He said, ‘From Yemen.’ He said, ‘How is my brother with you people?’ (– He meant his brother Muhammad ibn Yusuf who was also a tyrannical ruler like him). He said, ‘I left him as a fat man with a fat stomach.’ Al-Hajjaj said, ‘I didn’t ask you about his health but I asked you about his justice.’ He said, ‘I left him as a deceiving and oppressive ruler.’

He said, ‘Don’t you know who I am?’ So the man said, ‘Who are you?’ He said, ‘I am al-Hajjaj ibn Yusuf!’ So the man said,

أتظن أنه يعز بك أكثر من اعتزازي بالله؟
‘Do you think that he (your brother) is mightier and strengthened by you more than I am by Allah?’

Tawus said, ‘When he said that, all my hair stood on end. But al-Hajjaj let him go and left him.’

فَاللّهُ خَيْرٌ حَافِظاً وَهُوَ أَرْحَمُ الرَّاحِمِينَ

“… But Allah is the Best of Protectors and He is the Most Merciful of those who show Mercy.”
[Yusuf: 64]

- Taken from احفظ الله يحفظك by ‘Aidh al-Qarni

1 comment: