Friday, December 30, 2016

Do you love your mother?

Do you have a mother? Do you love her and adore her? Or do you disrespect her, shout at her and disobey her?

Did you know that being dutiful to your mother is an easy way to gain rewards and enter Paradise in sha Allah! This is so long as you do not indulge in any of the major sins! 

My dear sister in Islam! Be careful how you treat your mother. You may not even recall the sleepless nights and stress she experienced raising you.  I leave you with these ayaat and ahadeeth on the high status Islaam has given our mothers. 

The next time you raise your voice at your mother or curse at her or turn away from her or ignore, remember just who it is you are dealing with!

Allah says,

And We have enjoined on man (to be dutiful and good) to his parents. His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship, and his weaning is in two years give thanks to Me and to your parents, unto Me is the final destination.[Surat Luqman:14]

And We have enjoined on man to be dutiful and kind to his parents. His mother bears him with hardship and she brings him forth with hardship, and the bearing of him, and the weaning of him is thirty (30) months, till when he attains full strength and reaches forty years, he says: "My Lord! Grant me the power and ability that I may be grateful for Your Favour which You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and that I may do righteous good deeds, such as please You, and make my off-spring good. Truly, I have turned to You in repentance, and truly, I am one of the Muslims (submitting to Your Will)."[Al Ahqaf:15]

Abu 'Isa Al-Mughirah bin Shu'bah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Allah has forbidden you: disobedience to your mothers, to withhold (what you should give), or demand (what you do not deserve), and to bury your daughters alive. And Allah dislikes idle talk, to ask too many questions (for things which will be of no benefit to one), and to waste your wealth".

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

It was narrated that Mu’awiyah bin Jahimah As-Sulaimi said:
“I came to the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, I want to go for Jihad with you, seeking thereby the Face of Allah and the Hereafter.’ He said: ‘Woe to you! Is your mother still alive?’ I said: ‘Yes.’ He said: ‘Go back and honor her.’ Then I approached him from the other side and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, I want to go for Jihad with you, seeking thereby the Face of Allah and the Hereafter.’ He said: ‘Woe to you! Is your mother still alive?’ I said: ‘Yes.’ He said: ‘Go back and honour her.’ Then I approached him from in front and said: ‘O Messenger of Allah, I want to go for Jihad with you, seeking thereby the Face of Allah and the Hereafter.’ He said: ‘Woe to you! Is your mother still alive?’ I said: ‘Yes.’ He said: ‘Go back and serve her, for there is Paradise.’” 
[Sunan Ibn Majah, sahih]

'Ata' ibn Yasar said that a man came to Ibn 'Abbas and said, "I asked a woman to marry me and she refused to marry me. Another man asked her and she agreed to marry him. I became jealous and killed her. Is there any way for me to repent?" He asked, "Is your mother alive?" "No," he replied. He said, "repent to Allah Almighty and try to draw near Him as much as you can."
So I went and asked Ibn `Abbas why he inquired about the man's mother. He replied:
"I don't know of a deed closer to Allah, Exalted and Majestic, other than dutifulness to the mother."
[Sahih al Adab al Mufrad]
It is reported that al-Miqdam ibn Ma'dikarib heard the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, say, "Allah enjoins you to be dutiful to your mothers. Then He enjoins you to be dutiful to your mothers. Then He enjoins you to be dutiful to your fathers. Then He enjoins you to be dutiful to your next closest relative and then to your next closest relative."
[Sahih al Adab al Mufrad]

It was narrated from Mu'awiyah bin Jahimah As-Sulami, that Jahimah came to the Prophet (ﷺ) and said:
"O Messenger of Allah! I want to go out and fight (in Jihad) and I have come to ask your advice." He said: "Do you have a mother?" He said: "Yes." He said: "Then stay with her, for Paradise is beneath her feet."
[Sunan al Nasaai, sahih]

Islaam has honored our mothers to such an extent that even if they are non Muslims we are ordered to still maintain good ties of kinship. The proof for this is in the story of Asmaa bint Abi Bakr (ra) whose non muslim mother came to visit her in al Madinah.

Narrated Asma':
"My mother who was a Mushrikah (pagan, etc.), came with her father during the period of peace pact between the Muslims and the Quraish infidels. I went to seek the advice of the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, "My mother has arrived and she is hoping (for my favor)." The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Yes, be good to your mother."

[Sahih al Bukhari]

No comments:

Post a Comment